Requirements vs. Design
Design solution: HOW to achieve something
Requirements: WHAT to achieve
Two cases where a requirements and desigin solutions are mixed up:
The customer mandates a design solution as a requirement
- Design solution (HOW): “provide a database for X”
- Requirements (WHAT): “capabilities for navigation and sort for X”
- Restrict design space.
- Risk to miss requirements: ask WHY!
Risk to miss requirements: ask WHY!
A derived requirement which is actually a design solution and no
- See allocation and flowdown
- Often alternation of requirements analysis and design
- One person’s design is the next person’s requirements